Sunday, January 4, 2009

What Matters Most

I realized today that I had not yet taken a picture of the boys in their new Christmas clothes.  We have church at 1:00 now so I had plenty of time to get them ready and take their picture. I like having a ton of time in the morning but it sure makes the day go by too fast.  



It is January 4th and I have already screwed up one of my new years resolutions. I resolved to be better at keeping the Sabbath day holy.  I have always had a hard time preparing ahead for Sunday dinner and I found myself funning out to get something.  So my ox was in the myer again -although I probably pushed him in there, and I ran out to get something to feed my family.  I feel like I am bearing my deepest darkest secrets with my blogging friends!  "Can you believe Tori goes to the store on Sunday?!" Anyhow, I am starting again this week to do better than I did last week.  That's the best I can do.  

In the year 2000, I read a book called "What Matter's Most".  It suggests writing a Personal Mission Statement.  I call it my PMS! It took me about a month, but I wrote down everything that was important to me and what I wanted to accomplish in my life.  It's time to take a look at it again and revise it to better fit my life.  I was single at the time I wrote it. Every year since then, I have made a checklist of "things I want to accomplish this year".  It has really helped me stay focused on what is important.  It is very important that the goals are things I can put a check mark by.  Not just "do better at this" or "be better at that".  I think I did pretty well last year.  Here is my check list:

Organize all rooms in my house- I did this last January and it probably needs to be done again!
Read one book a month- I am a slow reader but I did okay.  I read "Wake up to a Happier Life", "The 4:8 Principle", "As a Man Thinketh", "The Secret". "Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse" and half of "Breaking Dawn" 
Bring in an income - I started working at Kids Village in August and have been able to bring in a little extra money for the family.
Finish ordinance matching in PAF  - Didn't get around to this one!  It's very time consuming and I don't have the ability to do it from home.
Fit into all my pre-children clothing -Pregnancy kind of put a damper on that one.
Take a class -I re-certified in CPR and First Aid
Write 100 pages in my journal -I have over 100 posts in my blog and I am going to consider those as my journaling!
Work at least 20 hours on family history - Well, I blew this one out of the park!  It was probably more like 200 or more.
Find and submit 10 new names for the temple -I submitted somewhere around 80.
Attend the temple 12 times (at least once monthly) -I won't disclose my actual number, but I am resolving now to increase it this year!  I'm on a roll already because I have attended once in the 4 day's we've had in January! 
Read the Ensign cover to cover each month -I read the Ensign more this year than I ever have!  I think that was the key!
Train for a 5k - I started to do this in May and ran more than I ever have in the past.  I feel that was an accomplishment!

I am working on putting together my list for 2009.  I'll post it when I get it finished!


2 comments:

Weight Family said...

This inspired me... I might make a list with you!

Hilary said...

I want to see you run that 5K this year...even if I have to fly out and run it with you.