Tolerance* * Warning: Serious post ahead! * *
You all know how much I love to read and watch the news. I find a morbid fascination with the facts presented through this medium.
But recently I can't stop thinking about what is on the news and how often I find myself thinking of the word tolerance.Tolerance has come to mean acceptance, not just respect and kindness.
I enjoy this quote which reflects my feelings:
"Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination." (Dallin H. Oaks)
Tolerance seems to be a one-way street -- everyone wants to receive it, not give it.
I'm frustrated by the twisting of the meaning of the word tolerance.
I need to put myself in 'Time Out' away from the media for awhile.
---------------
Okay, I need to vent for a second! I am sick of the church always being on the chopping block that we are not tolerant enough towards other people. Those same groups sure are tolerant of us! Putting suspicious white powder in our temples sure is showing tolerance towards us. I think I need to stop watching the news as well. It just makes me mad. The first 3 stories are usually people attacking the church in some way, trying to remind us to be tolerant. I love the quote my friend posted from Dallin H Oaks. What do all of you think?
2 comments:
I like the phrase about tolerance is a one way street, we want it but don't want to give it. We see that in our students here at school. They don't want to be bullied or have others be intolerant with them, but they don't think they are intolerant or bullies. Are we missing something in our partening? Are we missing something in ourselves? Rick and I made it our New Year's resolution was to be less judgmental, maybe we need to add less intolerant to that. We are trying.
I agree that was a great post. Being tolerant doesn't mean changing what we believe in.
Post a Comment