Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ABC's of Me

Everything you NEVER wanted to know about me . . .
I'm still working on this so keep checking back! Please let me know if you copy and paste this into your own blog, I would love to read it!

A - ADVOCATE FOR: Recycling in Pleasant Grove. I mean, really, how hard can it be to get a pickup? Are we not just about the only city left in Utah County, if not Utah State, who doesn’t care about saving the world?

B - BEST FEATURE: My husband, he is my arm candy! I love showing him off!

C - COULD DO WITHOUT: I could really do without mean people! I mean, really, what gives?

D - DREAMS & DESIRES: I love to dream! I have been an avid daydreamer all my life –ask my 2nd grade teacher! I dream of appearing on a country music video as the sexy woman every man wants and every woman wants to be. I love romance! I wish I kept a better journal when Steve and I were dating and preparing to get married because our story could have been a movie! I’ll write about it someday.

E - ESSENTIAL ITEMS: Self help books, diet coke (Liquid sanity), ibuprofen, my pushup bra (they used to stand up and salute!), hair elastic, and a break from everyday life every now and then.

F - FAVORITE PAST TIME: 

G - GOOD AT: Everything I touch!  No really, that's definitely not true but I think I am good at my job.  I teach art to young children and although I have only done it for two weeks, I think I am pretty good at it.

H - HAVE NEVER TRIED: Pilates.  I'd love to give it a try with a great professional trainer.

I - IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS: I'd buy you a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, that's cruel.  No really, if I had a million dollars, I could spend it so fast my head would spin! Let’s make a quick list because just like “The Secret” suggests, if you think about it, focus on it, talk about it, blog about it, it will be yours! Okay a million bucks, new carpet, fridge, stove, microwave, new roof, gazebo and landscaping, a fun jeep wrangler all jacked up and decked out, bedroom set, new wardrobe with a nice walkin closet to go with it, have I hit a million yet? No, I’m not materialistic, I just like stuff! How much stuff would it take to make me happy? As Larry the Cucumber once said, “How much stuff is there?”

J - JUNKIE FOR: Cadbury Mini eggs. Does chocolate get any better? I could eat them like popcorn! Oh, I am salivating just looking at the picture!

K - KINDRED SPIRIT: My mother-in-law, really! I don't know what I would do without her.

L - LITTLE KNOWN FACT: I can make my eyes go different directions at the same time. Kind of freaky eh?

M - MEMORABLE MOMENT: When I taught the Joseph Smith story to a guy on my mission.  It was awesome!  Afterwards he said, "What was that?  That wasn't you speaking?  It's like you totally changed when you told that story."  It was so awesome to see him recognize the spirit and also to be used as a tool for Heavenly Father to teach him.

N - NEVER AGAIN WILL I: think I could ever run a race. What was I thinking? I know better than that!  I would rather bit off and eat my big toe!

O - OCCASIONAL INDULGENCE: An extremely occasional Diet Coke. When I say occasional, I mean special occasions like first thing in the morning, with breakfast, midmorning, with lunch, afternoon snack, as a pre-dinner appetizer, with dinner, for dessert, evening treat, late night snack, midnight indulgence.
I think I may be a “chain” drinker because the other day I had a hard time opening the can so I took the top of my previous can to use as a lever to pop my new one!
Logan holding my coke so I can push the stroller. I'm such a bad example!

P - PROFESSION: Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations
I have a continuing program of research (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field. I'm working for my Masters (Steve, Logan and Braden) and already have two credits (both boys).

Q - QUOTE: Do'h

R - REASON TO SMILE: My friends. What would I do without you? Speaking of friends, "Friends" -you know-"I'll be there for you" make me smile too!

S - SORRY ABOUT: All the stupid things I do. I do plenty so I am sorry a lot. Let’s see, I’ll try to be more specific. I’m sorry I can’t keep my house cleaner.  I'm sorry I say dumb things, I'm sorry I'm not more sensitive, I'm sorry I'm not nicer, I could go on but I won't. 

T - THINGS I WISH I COULD DO: Dance! I suck at it but I sure enjoy it. I love to tap dance, and wish I was a ballerina. I have no style and look like a fish out of water, but I still try.

U - UNINTERESTED IN: Learning a foreign language. That is the one thing that has kept me from getting my college degree.

V - VERY SCARED OF: The ocean. I love water but hate the ocean. I’m not sure if this fear comes from the time I sucked in what seemed like a gallon of sea water and then puked it up on the sand. Or it may come from the time I was pulled under by the under toe and when I emerged I was bloody from the rocks and my left boob had fallen out of my micro mini bikini –yes, I was once able to wear one of those. To add to the embarrassment, I got a wink from a scary old Mexican man who got the show of his life!

W - WORST HABIT: My mind works faster than my body. Those who know me well know I am a clutz. I am one of the few people I know who can fall UP the stairs! My husband made the observation that my mind works faster than my body. If I think of something I need downstairs, my mind is picking it up long before my body ever gets there!  I even managed to fall through my brother in law's trampoline!


X - X MARKS MY IDEAL VACATION SPOT: The beach? No thanks!

Y - YUMMIEST DESSERT: Oh, I love sweets! A delicious chocolate chip cookie, huge chunk of cheesecake,

Z - ZODIAC SIGN: Aquarius
According to one website, these are the characteristics of an aquarius:
• Good communication skills (I don’t know about this one)
• Sociable
• Idealist
• Tactless –(Oh this is soooo me! I talk before I think)
• Desires change
• A utopian
Likes...
• Fame
• Privacy
• Dreams
• Magic
• Change
• Eccentricity
• Surprises
Dislikes...
• Show-offs
• Being taken for granted
• Being 'pinned down'
• Violence
• Senseless extravagance


MY FIVE
10 years ago I...

1. Just returned home from my mission
2. Was living in Logan with my sister and a crazy roommate
3. was working as a waitress at El Toro Viejo
4. was trying to fit back into society after being on my mission. I was still listening to conference talks in my car rather than music.
5. was going to Utah State University studying Art History


5 things on todays "to do list":

1. update my blog and look at others
2. work on plans for the community art project at Heritage festival
3. answer emails
4. Substitute AM kindergarten
5. take a nap -yeah like that one's going to happen!

5 snacks I enjoy:

1. hum, what do I like to drink?
2. Almonds
3. Graham crackers and peanut butter
4. Licorice
5. anything with sugar!

5 things I would do if I were a millionaire:

This subject was covered earlier. I guess I ought to add I would help people too! I would want to randomly pay off someone's debts, secretly pay for someone's mission, give someone who can't afford it a well needed vacation, randomly stick $100 bills in peoples purses at the grocery store.

5 places I have lived:

1. Grew up in Sandy
2. During college I lived in Ephriam, Salt Lake, Logan, Salt Lake again
3. Philadelphia
4. Maryland
5. Very briefly in Houston

5 jobs I have had:
recently I sat down and wrote about 9 pages of journal on the jobs I have had. I think I counted 25 or so. I can't believe that! I have pasted it below if someone is really really bored to read it! It's not finished so I will work on it in the next few days.

Tag- Anyone who wants to do this!!

MY JOB HISTORY!
Frog and Toad

I was 16 years old. I was too young legally to be working with as many children as I did. I didn’t know what I was doing. I had babysat a lot before this time but to “baby-sit” professionally was a different story.

On my first day of work I was supposed to arrive at 3:00. School got out at 2:20. I stopped by a sick friend’s house to drop off her homework. I then drove home to clean up. Comb my hair, brush my teeth, and fix my makeup. Mom had left a balloon in my room with card that said “good luck on your first day of work!” Anyhow, after all that, time got away from me and I rushed to work arriving at 3:30. Oops! My boss said, “I thought you were going to be here at 3:00”. I just shrugged my shoulders and said “oh”, as if I just got the time wrong. I guess she believed it. I later realized how hard it really was to get to work by 3:00 when school didn’t get out until 2:20. I had to leave the second I arrived home.

Anyhow, I worked with another 16-year-old girl taking care of approx 16 two year olds each day. Legally the ratio for two year olds is 1 to 6. Since one of us was always changing a diaper, the other was taking care of 15 toddlers. What a crazy mess. I don’t know how the day care legally got away with it. Since I was just 16, I didn’t know their was a problem. This was a daycare in a very low income area, so the parents were just glad they had someone to watch their children and didn’t worry too much about the details until one day where I got myself in a little bit of trouble. At the end of each day, I remember sitting with all the children watching cartoons as their parents came to pick them up. One day, a little 3 year old was being a little snotty and sticking out her tongue. I couldn’t get her to stop, so in my naivety, I told her I would cut her tongue off if she didn’t put it back in her mouth. Can you believe I said that? I still can’t believe it! Anyhow, when her mom picked her up, she told her what happened. I guess she was pretty scared I would do it. So, the director came into the room and said, “Who told her you would cut off her tongue?” Oops again! Well, luckily that was the end of it.

I remember exactly where I parked each day. The only place left when I arrived at 3:00. I drove the pinto the first few months. After Dad sold it, I drove his little ranger truck. I was dark when I droved home at 6:30. It was always quite cold on that drive home of approx 18 blocks. The heater usually kicked it really strong just before I pulled into the driveway. The second music tape I ever bought was Sting, Dream of the Blue Turtles. Every time I listen to a song from that album I think of those rides home with the heater on full blast trying to defrost the windows and heat my toes at the same time.
Overall, it was a good experience for a first job. I think I worked there a total of about 6 months.



Solutions by Computer

The summer after my sophomore year, Mark Jones whom I babysat for since I was 13, asked if I would come and work for him at his one-man business. He needed a secretary and someone to make some cold calls for him. Looking back, I hated it! I always felt uncomfortable sitting in the office with just the two of us. He always had a 70’s rock station on the radio and he would quiz me every time a new song came on. “Who’s this?” He would give me weird hints like “we have one in our backyard” for SuperTramps, and “Pickup ……” for Styx and that sort of hints. He would send me on errands, which I always loved. I got to drive to Ogden and not only get paid for my time but I would get paid mileage. I thought this was very cool because it was my dad’s truck that I only paid for gas. I felt like I made extra money for doing errands. When he was gone from the office, most of the time he didn’t leave me enough to do so I would draw colorful pictures on the white board. Usually a huge rainbow so I could use all the colored markers. I spent a lot of time making cold calls to dentist and doctor’s offices to find the name of the business manager or whoever was in charge of purchasing computer equipment. He would then use this information fro his mailing list. He used to laugh at me that I would write all the info down on paper while I was on the phone and then later type it in to the database. He kept telling me to type it directly in while I was on the phone. For some reason I preferred writing it down first. Lucky for us I did. One day while I was cleaning up the database, I was deleting duplicate entries; I accidentally pushed shift and delete. I must have leaned on the shift key. When it asked if I was sure I wanted to delete ALL entries, I habitually pushed yes because I had been answering that question on each entry. Anyhow, the database started to clear ALL 2500 entries. I didn’t understand what was happing. Why was it taking so long to delete that one entry? I walked next door where Mark was and told him I we had a problem. He came in and started swearing like a sailor! I have never heard the F-bomb drop so many times. I was actually quite scared. He asked why I didn’t pay more attention when it asked me if I was sure. It was all I could do to fight back tears. As I mentioned earlier, I was lucky to have much of that information written down on paper. I think in all we lost about a weeks worth of work. I was ready to quit. Eventually, I turned the position over to Hilary –just like we eventually did with babysitting. I’m not sure how she liked it. Maybe I will ask one day.


Altara Elementary School
My senior year in high school I spent three periods a day working in a kindergarten class as well as the schools resource program. In the beginning, I worked exclusively with a boy named Jordan who had downsyndrome. After a couple of weeks, his mom changed him to morning kindergarten and had a more qualified aide work with him. My favorite part of the day was in the resource program. Part of the reason was because they loved me there, the students and the teachers. The main advisor was named Rhonda Curtain. She was so good to work with! At the time, I wanted to major in elementary or special education. Rhonda kept telling me she wanted me to come back when I was doing my student teaching. I would have but that never happened. Part of the hour I was in special ed, I worked with a third grade girl who was blind. It was an awesome experience! I worked with her on her math skills. I learned the numbers in Braille and also learned how to use a Brailler. It is like a typewriter that punches raised Braille dots. I can’t remember the little girls name but she was such a doll! I loved that she hugged me every time I came, and how she knew immediately when I arrived by the sound of my voice. A year later I stopped by and visited and she knew me immediately. She must be about 25 now. I wonder if she still remembers me.
Anyhow, the kindergarten teacher I worked with was Mrs. Riggle. She was great. She gave me a lot of opportunities to learn and work one on one with the children. I spent a lot of time helping with testing and doing special projects. While the kids were learning the letter “Q”, they tied a small quilt with their hand prints and names written on it. At the end of the year, they gave me the quilt to “take to college” with me. I still have it today. My children have gotten a lot of use out of it. Even though the hands and names have faded from the wash, I still remember each child and the experiences I had that year.
I was pretty bummed on picture day that I didn’t tell the photographer that I was in “PM” kindergarten because my photo ended up on the “AM” class photo. I was sad that the kids wouldn’t have my picture to remember me. Oh, well!


KinderCare
I worked with the older children during the summer after high school.  They were there all day since they were out of school.  We called it a day camp rather than day care.  Our homebase was a local school gym.  We had lots of fun doing all kinds of different projects.  We went on 3 field trips a week.  These were places like waterparks, the zoo, roller rinks, museums, parks, and the such.  I thought it was great!  I got paid for playing at the water park!  The other teachers loved it too because most of them didn't want to get wet or get directly involved in the activities so they were glad I was there to do that.  I worked with a woman named Mary Ellen Hubert.  I loved her!  I kept in contact for a couple of years and then lost touch.  She was great.  I usually rode my bike to work and they she would take me home afterwards because after a full day trying to keep up with a bunch of kids, I was too tired to ride my bike home up hill.


Ephriam Elementary School
I was only here for 4 months. I left Snow College after the first semester, which included leaving this job. It was a very interesting job. I did a couple of different jobs while there. First off, I was an aide to a little kindergartener with a severe neuromuscular disease. He was the brightest, happiest little boy. He was sure not to let me do anything for him. I had to let him go at his own pace because he was determined to finish everything he did, even if it took him two to three times longer than the other kids. He wasn’t able to walk and at first he had a little wooden scoot toy (something that a toddler would use). He would scoot himself around onthat thing pretty fast. The little kid was so well liked by the other kids. I wish I remembered his name. The other children were so patient and loving with him. I just remembered his name, Joseph. The kids loved Joseph and always enjoyed being his helper. Half way through my time at the school, Joseph got a riding wheelchair. He loved racing that thing down the hall and giving the other children turns riding on the back. He loved being faster and any of the other children. I can still picture his little face beaming with joy as he cruised down the hall of the school.
The other job I had at Ephraim Elementary was substitute teacher. I did this for both the kindergarten class and a first grade class. While working with the first graders, I had to put my foot in my mouth a couple of times. The first not so bad, but the second I consider one of my most embarrassing moments. First, their was a little boy name Julian. Now he was Mexican so he pronounced his name “H”ulian. I kept calling him “J”ulian and all the kids made fun of me. The little boy was okay with it but just couldn’t understand why I had such a hard time. The second experience was awful! There was a little 1st grader named ------. I had never heard that name before. This child had a very short haircut and wore jeans or shorts and t-shirts most everyday. Yet the child also wore socks with lace on them. I had no idea if it was a girl or a boy! I kept trying to pay attention to the other students to see if I could figure it out. I was pretty sure it was a girl until one little boy said, “he”. I was so confused but didn’t want to embarrass anyone. So I waited until recess when the only ones left in the classroom was the teacher and aide and myself. I walked up to the teacher-with the aide not to far away –and asked, “Is ------- a boy or a girl?” The teacher replied, “she is a little girl, and this is her mom.” The aid was her mom. I thought I would die! The mom said to me, “she loves wearing her hair short and she hates it when other children call her a boy, but that sometimes happens with her short hair.” I tried to explain myself by saying “I thought so but someone called her a He and I got confused.” The more I talked, the further my foot went into my mouth. The worst part of the whole thing is that I had been in that class many times. It’s not like I had just met her and was unsure. I had known her for weeks and still couldn’t figure it out. Oh, how embarrassing!

KinderCare

Western Garden Center
Seasonal. This lasted only about months.  I had fun though.  I was just a cashier during the spring.  After Memorial day, they laid most people off because things slowed down during the summer. My hands were always dirty because I was ringing up plants that were wet and muddy.

Chalmers
Oh what an experience. I will write about this some day.  In a nut shell, I was a nanny for a mean woman and her spoiled kids.  I actually felt bad for the kids because as spoiled as they were, they were ignored by their parents.

Allied
Cashier job at a hardware and sporting goods store. 

East Sandy Elementary
I taught the title one program to 1st -4th graders. I taught mostly reading.  I worked with some amazing teachers, and I developed a love for children's literature. 

Repartee
I was so lucky to get this job.

Rocky Mountain Gallery

Cache Valley School District

El Tori Viejo
“You sure?”

ChiChi Place (Forgot the name of the place but it was where chichi’s used to be) 1997
I worked here one month before I left on my mission. I laughed about working here all the time because the more alcohol I sold, the better tips I got, which I used towards paying for my mission! One day I served a single lady for lunch. She told me I had a beautiful complexion and did I ever think of selling Mary Kay? Well, that explained the beautiful complexion comment. Anyhow, I told her I was moving to Philadelphia in a month so I wouldn’t be interested. It was a great excuse. She asked me why I was moving and I told it was to serve a mission. She was so kind and very excited for me because she had served a mission some 10years back. When she left, I noticed on her check that she left me a $35 tip, for an $8 meal. On the subject line she had written, “good luck on your mission!” How kind was she! I swiped her address of the check and sent her a thank you note.
I also remember the food here was horrible and they had cockroach problems. They would occasionally drop from the walls and land on people’s tables –yuck! However, if a cockroach landed on your table, the meal was free!

Mission 1997-8

El Toro Viejo
Back here again! I was never really hired back, I just kind of kept showing up. I told people I could fill in for them on weekends and soon I was on the schedule.
I also had to go to therapy to get over the sexually harassment we dealt with there. I can’t believe what I put up with.


NDS
I was a receptionist for just a couple months. The company started in Logan and then moved to Salt Lake. I moved with the company. This was how I came to leave Utah State University. It was a good excuse to get back to Salt Lake.
My friend's husband started this company. I never really trusted him. A couple of years later I saw him on the news being accused of fraud. He borrowed a couple of million dollars for a business that he ended up using on personal things. Oops!

Bennett’s Barbeque House
I worked here about a month with Hilary. I was very disappointed because I hardly made any tips. I had been spoiled at El Toro thinking it was normal to bring home over $100 a night. I usually made $15 or $20 at Bennett’s, about $3 an hour.

Repartee

Arete

Dowdle Folk Art
I was here for about a year and a half. It was fun but overall probably a negative experience. I learned a lot about business. When I was hired, I was $40,000 a year or I could work on commission. This was January. Due to the high sales of the girl who just quit, it was estimated I could make close to $60 if I worked on commission. I never really decided which to do but they assumed I wanted commission so started paying me on that scale. I didn’t really care. They said I would make more money that way so I believed them. I worked hard for them that first year. I wasn’t making the money I thought but was promised I would make up for it at Christmas time. I worked so hard pre-selling the new puzzles to companies for the Christmas season. I was looking forward to a big payoff. In the negotiations with the puzzle manufacturer, Eric never got a signed commitment that the puzzles would arrive in time. We were supposed to get them by October. When they called and said the puzzles would be available by Thanksgiving, we were ticked but okay that we still had a month of selling. We then continued to get calls that they would be another week. Each week, they would be another week. Two weeks before Christmas, we were told we would have them by the end of January. What? We were furious! We missed the whole Christmas shopping season this year! I had pre-sold almost a hundred thousand dollars worth in puzzles. That was the initial orders only, didn’t include any reorders that probably would have exceeded the original sales. For pre-orders alone, I lost out in $15,000 worth of commissions. That spring I was really disappointed. I was working for commissions that I never got. Needless to say, I was not very motivated. I often worked only half a day because there was no point if I wasn’t getting paid. By the end of May, Eric told me that because of the problems that Christmas, he needed to lay me off because he couldn’t afford to pay me anymore. That was strange because he wasn’t paying me! Oh well. I learned a lot while working for him, and I also made some good friends.

Repartee
Sharon Swindle called me only hours after Eric Dowdle told me he couldn’t pay me anymore. I went through some negotiations on pay and started working about a month later.
Sharon promised me that I would be the only manager. I had told her that I knew I would have a hard time working with Trudy. There needed to be only one boss. The day I was hired, she told me, in front of Trudy, that we would be working together as co-managers. I was fuming but didn’t know what to do about it. I decided to give it a shot and try to work it out. Needless to say, it didn’t work out.
Worked here during the Olympics
Was manager of two galleries. A prints gallery and an originals gallery
Was working here when I met Steve.
I think I was almost always late for work because I stayed up too late playing just about every night.

KinderCare
YIKES!! What a disaster that was!

Lane Bryant
Worked here for the Christmas season. Only stayed about a month. I kind of liked it because I was always the skinniest person there. I was a size 10, the smallest size clothing they sold was 14, and just about everyone else who worked there was at least a 22!

McGraths Fish House
I worked as a waitress while I was pregnant with Logan. A fish house at that! It was great because most of my pregnancy I craved lemons and vinager so I ate fish and chips just about everyday! Lots of lemon on the fish! Lots of malt vinager on the french fries! Yum Yum, my jaw is tingling thinking about it.

Dowdle Folk Art
Worked with schools selling puzzles as fundraisers. This lasted about 1 month because I got pregnant.

Now I am working at Kids Village and I love it!!

No comments: