This will not be the most exciting blog entry, but I wanted to be sure to document the experience. Thursday afternoon at about 1:00 we decided Braden was done with diapers. He and I went to his drawer and threw them all away. He didn't want to put on underwear just yet, which was okay because I think they are more aware of their need to go when they are naked. I asked him every 15 minutes or so if he wanted to go potty. His response was always the same, he completely ignored me. He has never wanted anything to do with the potty. He won't get near it, let alone sit on it. 5:00 came around and he had neither used the bathroom nor had an accident. I knew he must need to go soon, so I continued my quest in getting him near the toilet. Around 6:00, he started asking for a diaper. He was pretty persistant and acted as if it was an urgent neccessity, so Steve took him into the bathroom and shut the door. He screamed and yelled and wanted out! Steve didn't give in. After almost an hour and a half, I went and traded him places. Sitting "comfortably" on the floor, we talked and I coaxed and coaxed with no avail! Finally, I thought this is nuts! This child is going to sit on the toilet. I would have thought this was too rough if he was 2, but he is almost 4 and it needed to be done. I put his naked butt on the little training potty and held him there. He yelled that it was too cold. I told him the longer he sits there, the warmer it would get. He finally started to relax and sit there without me holding him. But that didn't last long, and soon he was up trying to convince me to let him out. Logan came in with a popsicle and Braden wanted one. We told him as soon as he pees, he can have a popsicle and can watch his favorite movie, Peter Pan. He was not happy about having to wait for a popsicle!
We were going on 8:00 now, 7 hours after taking off his diaper! I had given him plenty of fluids throughout the day so I knew he must need to go. I was about ready to throw in the towel, but I knew if I did, the last two hours would have been completely in vain. Since we were just sitting in the bathroom, he started to look through the drawers and found some lotion. I sat him back on the little potty and we played with the lotion on his legs. I got the great idea of rubbing his tummy to try to relax him and stimulate his need to go. I rubbed his tummy, legs, and back for twenty minutes with no result. This boy must have a bladder of steel! I have already gone twice while waiting for him. That was probably due to the slowly flowing water I turned on in hopes it would help. The only thing I could think of to do next was something maybe I should have done in the beginning, pray! First, I prayed for patience, then I told Braden that I bet Heavenly Father would help him go potty if we ask Him to. He said the sweetest prayer that Heavenly Father would help his body do what it was supposed to do. I was hoping his little prayer would be answered immediately, but it wasn't. It was quarter to nine and I was getting tired. I left him in the bathroom while I went and changed into pajamas. I brought back a small pillow and blanket and set up camp for how ever long it was going to take. Braden thought it looked like a fun game and crawled in with me. He said he was going to play Daddy when he goes to work, so he jumped up, and I took the opportunity to say, "the first thing Daddy does before he gets ready to go to work is go potty." Braden said okay and went strait to the toilet, sat down and peed! I couldn't believe it! Mid-stream he exclaimed, "I get a popsicle and get to watch Peter Pan!" He sure did! And I slept peacefully that I had won this little battle with my 3 year old!
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment