Thursday, October 28, 2010

800-222-1222


I called poison control the other night for the first time ever. Asher got a hold of a bottle of instant hand sanitizer and started sucking on the pump. I wasn't there, but Steve said he started coughing and spitting it out. I don't know how much he got, but it was at least a mouthful.
Poison control said it can intoxicate them, so watch for drowsiness. I was a little worried about that one since it was 7:30, bedtime, and I was looking for drowsiness to set in anytime soon. We were told to keep him awake for at least 45 minutes. We were also told to give him a high caloric drink, as the ethel alcohol in the sanitizer could lower his blood sugar. I gave him some milk mixed with carnation instant breakfast.
After an hour, poison control called us back to check on him. He was running around with his brothers and feeling just fine.
I am grateful for those sorts of resources! I don't know how much he got, and it was nice not to have to run him to the emergency room if it wasn't necessary.

No comments: