Friday, March 27, 2009

Personal Mission Statement 2009

This may be a boring blog to you, but I wanted to get it in here.  Read at will!

Back on January 4th I posted a blog titled "What matters most".  It mentioned my goals for 2008 and how I had done.  I talked about writing a Personal Mission Statement (basic and in depth) and how I was working on revamping mine that I wrote in 2002.  Well, after 3 months and tons of soul searching, I finally got it done!  After many drafts, this is it!

ENJOY THE JOURNEY is my new mission statement! That may sound so basic and easy, but I went though many different sentences before I came upon exactly what I want for my life.

The following is pretty personal, so I hope you forgive me!  As suggested, it is all written as if it already exists.  I'm not really all this great, but these are the things I am striving for.  Most likely they are things I am not, but want to be.

After much contemplation, I have concluded that my most important governing values, what is most important for me to have, are (in no particular order):

Charity, Kindness, Thoughtfulness, happiness, Patience,
Organization, Cleanliness, Harmony and Balance,
Inner peace and Calmness, Feeling loved, Enjoying life,
Temple work, Family History, Prayer,
Study -both spiritual and secular,
Having the Spirit in my home always,
Giving my children a variety of experiences and providing memorable activities,
Taking care of myself, taking care of my children.

• I am charitable and take every opportunity to give.
• I pray daily for opportunities to serve.
• I am thoughtful and put others needs first.
• People enjoy being around me because I am uplifting, happy, and make them feel good.
• People enjoy being around me because I rarely complain.
• I am patient with my children and understand they are little. I understand their needs and desires.
• I am organized and can always find what I am looking for.
• I declutter often and get rid of things that I don't need. "Stuff" doesn't get in the way of my life.
• My body, mind and house are always clean and invite the Spirit and other guests.
• My house is always in a position to welcome guests. It is a sanctuary from the world.
• There is harmony and balance to my life.
• I have techniques that I use when my life or my mind feels out of harmony with what I want.
• I have balance in my daily activities and provide stability to my children. This provides comfort to my husband and allows me to create a place where he wants to be, a place where he feels loved, and a place of refuge from the world.
• My calmness and inner peace affects others in a positive way. I have the ability to calm others and help them find peace.
• I am loved and appreciated for who I am because of what I do.
• I have a personal calling and mission in life to do my family history and temple work. I fulfill this without neglecting my other responsibilities.
• I make an effort to visit the temple often.
• I work daily on documenting my family’s life through scrapbooking, journaling and blogging.
• Slowly but surely I work on writing my own personal history and documenting my past and ancestors lives.
• I communicate daily with my Father in Heaven and constantly have a prayer in my heart.
• I never say or do anything that could interrupt communication with the Spirit or my Heavenly Father.
• I am open and receptive to the promptings of the Spirit and always act on them.
• I pray daily for personal revelation that will improve my life and help me be a better wife and mother.
• I always have the Spirit with me and always invite Him into my life and home.
• I constantly seek knowledge and greater understanding of both spiritual and secular things.
• I take the time to read and study.
• My knowledge of the scriptures is always increasing due to my own efforts.
• I listen to the prophets and incorporate their teaching in my life.
• I take time to teach my children and give them experiences to help them learn and grow and become unique individuals. I search out and give them memorable experiences and divers opportunities to learn about their world.
• I take care of myself. I eat properly, exercise regularly, and take pride in my outer appearance.
• I don't neglect my needs because I know I can only give as much as I have.
• If my needs are not taken care of, I can't help fill others needs.
• I take care of my children and their needs.
• I provide nutritious meals and learning opportunities.
• I show them love and compassion.
• I fulfill their need with out spoiling them and am not afraid to say no.
• I enjoy my life and find joy in my everyday activities.
• I want to be remembered by my Christlike attributes, especially those of cheerfulness, kindness, and charity.
• I want to leave a legacy of righteousness and that of Family history and temple work.
• I want to be remembered by my family as providing a loving environment and a sanctuary for myself and my family.
• I want to raise my children in righteousness and become one with my husband.
• I want to be known as one who always listened to and followed the Spirit.
• I want to be known as one who loved life and all it had to offer.

IMPORTANT AREAS OF FOCUS

Family history and Temple work
WHAT: Work diligently on family history. I would like to have a PC laptop to do all my family history work on and have all my data organized. I want to have all my research organized in one year.
WHY: This will help me focus on what areas need it most. Being organized will help be open to the Spirit on what areas I need to focus most.
HOW: Have a specific time weekly to work on family history. I would like to get to the point where I submit all names to have the temple find proxies because I have more than I could possibly do! Visit the temple often, at least once a month!
1- Organize paper work into surnames, before baby comes in May
2- Organize temple cards and submission lists by December 2009
3- Update wall chart and hang it back up by December 2009
4- Finish current temple cards or turn them into temple to have completed by summer 2010
5-Purchase a laptop for PAF work by December 2009 (maybe Christmas present)

Homemaker and housekeeper
WHAT: Have a system in keeping the house clean by May 19th (baby's due date)
WHY:It keeps me happy and helps in fighting my depression. It keeps me focused on doing what matters most. It is a service I want and need to provide for my family.
HOW: Try flylady's advice by dividing house into zones and focusing on one a week. Make a calendar of daily jobs. Help the children do their jobs by using a job chart. Make a dinner plan and stick to it! Be completely organized and running the schedule by Fall!
1-Use Flylady and put together cleaning calendar. Identify zones (include car) and hang chart by April 1st
2-Put together a dinner calendar with recipes and shopping list by April 1st
3-Organize boys job charts and find a place to hang it by March 15th
4-Declutter and take a big trip to the DI before May 2009
5- Clean out downstairs closet by May 2009

Be Physically fit, physically fit, physically physically physically fit
WHAT: Be in good enough shape that I have energy to play with my children, and feel good about myself by January 2010
WHY: I feel better about myself and have more energy to play with my kids and fulfill my roles with energy.
HOW: Exercise and diet. Can't really start until after the baby comes, but June to January is plenty of time. I think moderation is the key.
1- Continue current habits until baby arrives in May
2- Set up an exercise schedule for summer by June 1st 2009
3-Consider membership to rec center, make decision by June
4-Fit into my size 8 clothes by January 2010


Having said the above, these are the 15 things I want to accomplish in 2009
1-Submit 20 new names for temple work
2-Attend temple at least 12 times
3- Clean out basement closet
4-Reduce debt to mortgage only
5- Declutter every inch of my house
6-Complete curriculum for Kids Village
7-Fit into my size 8 clothing
8-Figure a system to get recycling pick up in Pleasant Grove
9-Organize my family History work and re-hang poster
10-Take a class
11- Pull off another successful Strawberry Days art show
12-Pull off another successful Heritage Festival Community art project
13- Assemble last years community art project
14-Spend enough time outside this summer to get somewhat of a tan (Vain I know! But when you are a red head...)
15-Plant and maintain a veggie garden

Books I want to read (or reread) in 2009
What Matters Most -done already!
Minding the Body -done already!
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer
Body Clutter
The Secret
My Name is Asher Lev
Book of Mormon
Move Your Stuff, Change your Life
Breaking Dawn
STUDY in depth my patriarchal blessing

1 comment:

margie said...

WOW! I am sooooo impressed. Your mission statement was amazing and I loved that you set up a plan on how you can accomplish everything. You Go Girl! :)