Friday, June 17, 2011

A visit to Pleasant Grove Cemetery and other random photos

I love taking my kids to cemeteries to look at graves of ancestors. I just learned that I have a 2nd great grandmother who is buried in the Pleasant Grove cemetery. After a baseball game shortly after Memorial day, we went to check out her headstone.
There were tons of flowers still from Memorial Day, but they were starting to look weathered. Braden spent most of the time we were there straitening the flowers and standing back up the ones that had been blown over by the wind. I was touched at how caring he was and could see that he knew the importance of each person there.
We talked about the little babies who had died the first day or two of life. We talked about the veterans there who's headstones proudly listed their military service.
The boys enjoyed thinking about each person and what they may have been like. I am very proud of them!! Logan even spent a lot of time trying to keep Asher from walking on the headstones. Asher, however, thought they were stepping stones and was sure not to miss a single one!!


Emma Cook Flanders (my grandmothers grandmother)


The view of Timpanogos from Logan's track meet
Being silly

Picnic with friends


2 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Yay for catch up blogging! I've been missing you :) Love those boys of yours. How sweet was that cemetery experience?!

margie said...

You are such a great mommy - teaching your boys about the importance of those who have passed before and the worth of every soul. A cemetery story about your Grandma Peirce that you may not have heard: She was at the Mount Calvery Cemetery putting flowers on her mother's grave and noticed a family just up the hill doing the same. She walked up to chat and found out that the grave was of their baby and that they were moving and wouldn't be able to visit their little one's grave anymore. Grandma Peirce promised she would put flowers on their baby's grave. Each Memorial Day we kids always knew there was a can of fresh garden flowers for that baby's grave. I wish I remembered which grave it was to show you and complete this precious story.