Friday, September 28, 2012

a day in the life!

This morning's experience cannot go without documenting. Unfortunately, I do not have the gift of words to do proper justice to the story, but I will try.  It's nothing out of the ordinary, but a day that maybe I will look back on and laugh about the times when my life was crazy.

I have 20ish pieces of artwork that have been framed from the Strawberry Day's art contest this last June. It took me two months to get around to getting them framed and now they have been sitting by my front door for a week waiting to be hung in the recreation center. Today I was determined to get it done!  If I go in the morning, I can put my children in the day care center and not worry about them. That was my plan.

When I got to the rec center, the boys had taken off the shoes I had put on them.  Asher's were flipflop's without a back strap and he could not figure out how to keep them on.  Preston's shoes were a bit big for him (the only ones I could find as I rushed them out the door).  He would not leave them on. The daycare requires them to have shoes on. So much for that idea.  Preston had also decided he didn't want to wear his shirt. So we were down to just his pants as we got out of the car. I parked right out front in the dropoff/pick up areas so I could unload the artwork.  While unloading, I realized Preston needed his diaper changed. He had the runs. Luckily I had a diaper in the car. I stuck him on the front seat and began a lightning fast diaper change. Or so I had planned it to be.   As soon as I took off his diaper, he squirmed out of his pants and slid off the seat of the car. I now had a naked child with a yucky bum standing in the road!

When he was redressed we unloaded the artwork and headed inside.  When inside, I noticed he was again topless.  "Oh well, he is a boy," I thought.  I found basketballs for them and sent them into the gym to play.  After 1 hour,  I was 2/3rds the way though the hanging of the artwork (which is painful and tedious by the way) the boys decided they were done!  It was 11:00 and many exercise classes had just gotten out and there were people everywhere.  Also, it was change of class period for the high school students so they were filing in to their gym classes.

I tried to finish up quickly when Preston remembered his quest for nudeness and was tugging and pulling at his pants. I realized there was no way I would be able to hang the last wall of artwork and instead I need to clean up and head out.

Preston was in nothing but a diaper before I knew it! And what do you know, a full diaper at that. Yep, another round of the runs! Talk about white trash baby!

I thought I would die if anyone saw him!  I quickly put his pants on, which was like trying to dress an octopus, and held him while I tried to gather up the artwork. That didn't work! He wanted down and I needed two hands. He won the struggle and ran off.  The next thing I knew, his pants were off again, but this time so was his diaper. Yes, that diaper that I previously mentioned was full again from the runs. AHHHHH!  I grabbed him and yanked his pants on over his naked yucky tush. I gathered the diaper and quickly disposed of it. Thank goodness there was nothing on the floor I needed to clean. "I have got to get out of here and now," I thought, but I have about 10 pieces of framed art work, a step stool, 3  basketballs, and 3 garbage cans that the kids were pushing around that needed to be put away first.  Duck tape was the only thing that was going to keep Preston dressed, and don't think I didn't think of that option!

I knew I needed to get the kids out of the rec center before there was a disaster.  I grabbed as much stuff as I could with one hand a half dressed toddler in my other hand. Luckily, Asher was cooperative! I set them on the hill just outside the front door to run and I opened the car door,  which was still parked right out front because I forgot to move it, I stuffed the artwork in and tried to figure out how I was going to clean up inside.  I started the car and turned on the AC and left the side door open. The kids were running up the hill so I took the chance to run inside and put the balls and garbage cans away.

Moments later, I ran back outside with an arm load of artwork.  Asher was still playing on the hill but Preston had climbed in the side door of the car which was pulled up to the curbside. I immediately noticed two women with the "Where is the mother?" look on their faces.

"I'm right here" I yelled as I ran out the door.  "We just didn't want him to bump the car in gear" one of them said.  "And he is stripped down" the other one said.

Yep, butt naked sitting in the drivers seat.

I threw his shirt on and strapped him into his carseat and ran back in to grab the last few pieces of artwork. Asher still playing on the hill.

As I am writing this up, I realize what a horrible mom I must be.  I thought this would be a funny writeup, but it sounds awful!  I now remember why I try not to judge other mom's when I don't know the situation, but now I am not only not going to judge them, but I am going to offer help.  If one of those lady's had said, "Can I stand here with him for minute for you?" it would have meant the world!

As I drove away, I remembered why I have procrastinated doing that job.  I guess I need to quit volunteering for things until my children are older.

What I thought would be a funny post has left me in tears.  Next time I will be sure my boys have proper shoes on when I go to the rec center!!

No comments: