Sunday, March 30, 2008

Braden's stitches


March 30, 2008


It snowed last night. The boys wanted to go out and play. Since I knew it would be one of the last big storms of the year, I sent them outside to play. After a short time, Braden came in crying, with blood dripping down his cheek. According to Logan, Braden had gotten in his way. Logan let him have it with his small toy snow shovel. "Looks like we need stitches," I thought and I cleaned him up and tried to find my sweatshirt. Logan was obviously torn up about the situation. I could tell he felt bad, but also seemed to feel justified by his actions because Braden had gotten in his way! Soon, Braden and I were off to the emergency room. Logan stayed home with Dad and I’m sure he got a good talking to!

Braden was so brave. They put a cotton ball soaked in numbing medicine on his cheek. The doctor took a look at it and decided it needed just one stitch. In order to keep him still, they had to wrap him tightly shoulders to toes with a nurse holding his head tightly. They put a sheet with a small opening over his face. He screamed! Luckily the doctor was so fast. One quick stitch and he was done. When they unwrapped him, Braden kindly said “thanks”. What a sweet boy.

On the way home, I asked Braden if he wanted a sucker. Most gas stations in our area have a drive through for small things like drinks and candy. I sure needed a diet coke so had no problem stopping. Braden asked for two. I figured after what he went though, he could have two suckers. As we were driving home, I heard him say, “my brother Logan.” My first thought was, “yeah, your brother Logan did that to you.” I leaned back and said, “what about your brother Logan?” He replied with “I love my brother Logan”. I then realized that he wanted two suckers so he could give one to Logan. What a sweet and forgiving child. I learn so many lessons from my children everyday.

No comments: